Friday 16 December 2011

I am an arrogant atheist!

I am an arrogant atheist.  I am so arrogant that it is greatly offensive to some believers.

I am so arrogant that I feel that if there is a creator of the universe - which is vast beyond my human ability to comprehend - he, she or it probably did not create it specifically for me and my species.

I am so arrogant that I do not believe the creator of the universe has a plan for my life.

I am so arrogant that I disbelieve the idea that a being capable of creating the universe and everything in it  revealed himself to humanity through contradicting prophets and preachers in ancient history.

I am so arrogant that I find the idea that an omnipotent being would deign to listen to my requests and complaints to be silly.

I am so arrogant that I reject the idea that an omniscient deity is concerned with my every thought.

I am so arrogant that I reject the notion that this being is particularly interested in my sex life and those of others.

I am so arrogant that I seek knowledge from a variety of sources, and do not consider any book to be better than any other ever written.

I am so arrogant that I change my mind frequently, as new evidence and better answers present themselves.

I am so arrogant that I often admit that I do not know things.

I am so arrogant that if something is unknown to science, I try to resist inserting an explanation from an ancient source as the answer.

I am so arrogant that I admit that I have been wrong in the past, I probably currently hold some erroneous views, and I am certain I will be wrong again in the future.

I am so arrogant that I believe my thoughts, actions or omissions are neither evil enough, nor important enough, to require that a deity in the guise of a perfect human be tortured and executed in atonement for them.

I am so arrogant that I believe that humanity can determine what is moral and what is not through rational thought without having to receive lists of rules from prophets claiming to speak on behalf of the creator of the universe.

I am so arrogant that I reject the idea that I can direct someone to a path that will give an eternity of infinite bliss.

I am so arrogant that I reject the notion that my thoughts and beliefs might be so vile or wrong as to merit a punishment of unimaginably excruciating torture for all eternity.


I am so arrogant that I stubbornly reject things that have no evidence to support them, no matter how nice they sound, how comforting they may be, or how internally consistent they are.

I am so arrogant that I believe I am an animal, a single member of a species in a very long evolutionary line, and that my life does not have any eternal or cosmic significance.

Yes, my towering arrogance is an affront to humble believers everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment