Friday 21 June 2013

Deodorant Disaster

This has nothing to do with religion directly, but certainly has to do with belief.

Back when I was still a believer in both religion and alternative medicine, barely aware of the concept of skepticism, I was a student in a four year Homeopathy program.  Among the many different health warnings circulated and believed by some of the school's teachers was the notion that deodorants and antiperspirants interfered with the lymph nodes of the axilla and lead to cancer.   In case you're wondering, they don't - see Can antiperspirants or deodorants cause cancer? National Cancer Institute Fact Sheet
But I believed they did.  So I ditched the pit stick.

The first consequence was, quite obviously, that I stank.  I didn't like it, and I'm sure the people around me didn't either, though most were far too polite to say anything.  And since I really didn't want to stink, I looked for alternatives.  I tried shaving my armpits and sponge bathing in the washroom at work.  Result: razor burn, wet shirts, awkward self-consciousness and I still stank, though the odor was somewhat less overpowering.
So, I went in search of "natural" deodorants that wouldn't "cause cancer.
I tried a few herbal based deodorants that were, supposedly, better and safer for being "all natural."
Not only did they do a poor job as deodorants, but they caused rather painful rashes under my arms.  So, in the name of being healthy and avoiding the evils of artificial chemical bathroom products, I was foul smelling, ashamed of my personal hygiene, supremely uncomfortable and my underarms stung and itched as if I'd applied poison ivy to them.
In the pursuit of avoiding imaginary consequences I had instead embraced real ones. 

1 comment:

  1. Hope you finally found Crystal Clear, or any generic version of that. I had 100 percent active ingredient, rather than the 12 percent added to regular pit stick. It works better for door than regular, because it kills the bacteria better, since it is stronger. It leaves no marks on clothing, and one stick lasts a year. About six bucks for the stick.

    http://www.thecrystal.com/faq.cfm

    ReplyDelete